View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 18, 2021, 11:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

Bill Russell #6 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
What makes a jersey # "illegal"? Is it due to the perceived difficulty that refs would have when signaling the jersey number with hands at the score table?
Keep in mind that in the not too distant past there was only one hand reporting in high school games.

NBA jerseys have always featured numbers. As in baseball, anything from 0 to 99 goes.

Basketball leagues at all levels in the U.S. traditionally use single and double digits between 0 and 5 (i.e. 0, 00, 1–5, 10–15, 20–25, 30–35, 40–45 and 50–55). The NCAA and most amateur competitions mandate that only these numbers be used because it eases nonverbal communication between referees, who use fingers to denote a player’s number, and the official scorer. In college basketball, single-digit player numbers are officially recorded with a leading zero.

The NBA has always allowed other numbers between 0 and 99, but the use of digits 6 through 9 is less common than 0 through 5 since players tend to keep their numbers from college.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Feb 18, 2021 at 07:32pm.