View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 17, 2021, 11:52am
Esteemed Forum Member

Happy Medium ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Are we really struggling to know who is on the court and what team they play for?
Good question. And this is the purpose (other than safety, and a few other things) of most of the equipment rules, to easily identify players on each team

The NFHS needs to find a "happy medium".

On one side of the spectrum one could find overly strict complex rules that are difficult for players, coaches, and some officials, to understand, and for some officials to enforce, but make it extremely easy to identify teams, probably beyond what officials need to easily and effectively officiate the game of basketball. Or even simple rules that are extremely strict, like all forms of equipment having the same color as the jersey. Is an extremely strict rule like this necessary for officials to easily and effectively officiate the game of basketball?

On the other side of the spectrum one could find extremely relaxed rules that are quite easy for players, coaches, and officials, to understand, and for all officials to enforce, but make it possibly somewhat difficult to identify teams during fast paced action, especially crowded rebounding situations, making officials possibly somewhat less effective, and making it possibly somewhat more difficult, to officiate the game of basketball.

Has the NFHS found the middle of the spectrum balance point? Easy to understand? Easy to enforce? Easy to identify players on each team? In my opinion, no, no, no, yes.

The NFHS should keep the current uniform (jerseys, colors, numbers) rules in place, and keep the current undershirt rules (white or jersey color) in place (as an extension of the jersey), and simplify, or eliminate, the other equipment rules regarding headbands, wristbands, arm sleeves, knee sleeves, lower leg sleeves, knee pads, elbow pads, compression shorts, and tights.

My opinion: Headbands, wristbands, arm sleeves, elbow pads? Little change. Simplify. Three (down from four) color choices (black, white, jersey color), all the same for a player, all the same for the team. Or, if desired, eliminate such rules completely (if one doesn't mind being the ringmaster at the circus).

My opinion: Knee sleeves, lower leg sleeves, knee pads, compression shorts, and tights? No rules. Ignore (like shoes and socks).

I don't believe that by ignoring everything from the waist down will make it significantly more difficult to easily identify players on each team.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 17, 2021 at 04:21pm.