View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 04, 2021, 01:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With Free Throws …

I originally didn't want to post this video on the Forum because I didn't think it was a tough situation. That is until I later received the IAABO International Play Commentary.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...yEpSlLdEgq.mp4

IAABO International only gives two choices: free throw violation, or not a free throw violation.

My comment: Free throw violation. Offensive White #30 clearly left her designated area and intruded into Blue #22's area before the release. Immediate violation on White #30.

Disclaimer: For IAABO Eyes Only. Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO International interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

IAABO International Play Commentary: Correct Answer: This is not a free throw violation.

In this play, White #30, in a marked lane space, attempts to maneuver behind her opponent to obtain a rebounding position in the lane. Her initial position along the lane is legal. She has at least one foot near the outer edge of the free-throw lane line. This player moves laterally toward her opponent's marked lane space.

A player occupying a (36-inch by 36-inch) marked lane space may not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of any edge of the space designated by lane-space marks. (9-1-3g) This restriction ends upon the release of the try.

This ruling will be based on whether or not she left her marked lane space and moved into an opponent's marked lane space before the try was released. Breaking this plane of the outside edge (with a foot) before the ball is released would be a free-throw violation.

In this play, it appears the free throw is released just before White #30, breaks the plane of her marked lane space, which makes this a legal play.

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video (only two choices): Not a violation 69%; Free throw violation 31% (including me).

Thoughts?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 07, 2021 at 02:18pm.