View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 23, 2021, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Team control no longer existed once A1 releases the ball on the dunk attempt (a "try"), and team control was not established until A2, while in the air, caught the ball. If, as I read the OP, A2 then lands with both feet simultaneously, one foot in the front court and the other in the back court, both A2 and the ball have backcourt status, but the offense would not be "last to touch" in the front court while in team control (BillyMac's third factor), which ended on the try.

I don't see it as an exception, written or unwritten, but the application of the rule consistent with the intent and purpose of the rule. I would have no violation--but I would begin a 10-second count.
If that were true, then a "touched loose ball" on a throw-in would have the same exception -- as was once debated vociferously on here. The NFHS made it clear that wasn't the case. There's only a "defense" if one team is in control. If neither team is in control, then there's no offense nor defense (at least for this rule).

I agree it *shouldn't* be a violation, but I think it is.