View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 22, 2003, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Newbie question:
What are the preferred PU mechanics associated with dropped 3rd strikes (in situations when the batter is able to run)? Right now, on a caught third strike, I'm explicitly signaling the strike with a pointed finger (and verbalizing it if it's a called strike), then signaling the out with a fist and verbalizing "out". So that on a drop, I do the same strike signal/call but I don't do the out signal and verbal "out" call until the tag. This approach seems very consistent to me, although it's a little busy and it's kind of a passive approach in that I'm sort of leaving it to the players to know my mechanics and recognize the absence of the out call. Would it be better to instead make some kind of a signal or a verbalization that the batter is not out if the ball is dropped?

What about when first is occupied? Should I do anything out of the ordinary on the drop, or just do exactly what I would do on a catch? In other words, should I be doing anything special to indicate to the defense that they don't have to make a throw, or should I make sure I DON'T do anything differently and make sure the burden is completely on them to recognize that the batter is already out and make the right decision (not to throw)?

I've seen different approaches, and being new, I'd like to develop a good habit early.