View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 21, 2020, 11:50am
Esteemed Forum Member

Re-Starting The Clock ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Not unless the jumper punched the ball with a closed fist. The point is that the touching itself is not illegal in these situations, rather it is that the touching infringes some other rule of the game. There are only two ways of illegally contacting the ball which would result in the clock not starting and the AP arrow not being switched—a kick or strike with a fist. For any other touching, the clock should start and then be quickly stopped upon the sounding of the official’s whistle which recognizes the violation (OOB, BI, illegal tap during a jump, etc.).
I would like to see further discussion regarding this topic.

5-9: Re-Starting The Clock
ART. 1 After time has been out, the clock must be started when the official signals the clock to start. If the official neglects to signal, the timer is authorized to start the clock as per rule, unless an official specifically signals continued time-out.
ART. 2 If play is started or resumed by a jump ball, the clock must be started when the tossed ball is legally touched.
ART. 3 If a free throw is not successful and the ball is to remain live, the clock must be started when the ball touches or is touched by a player on the court.
ART. 4 If play is resumed by a throw-in, the clock must be started when the ball touches, or is legally touched by, a player on the court after it is released by the thrower.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)