Thread: Ts and More Ts
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 01, 2020, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I understand your pain, it does seem odd to "split hairs" and differentiate between intermissions (bench personnel) and timeouts (players), but the seatbelt rule is a great tool to have in our black tool belt to keep those sitting, or not sitting, on the bench, or in the bench area, including adult assistants, and student athlete team members not in the game, under control.

Since head coaches were first allowed to stand to coach back in ancient times (back when it was, as far as I'm concerned, a real seatbelt rule), even before the new written warning rule, one word by me to the head coach about some problems with his bench and the possibility that he could be standing, brought an instant and immediate end to any shenanigans on the bench, or in the bench area, even if I couldn't specifically identify the individual culprits on the bench. Few coaches want to sit and coach.

No seatbelt rule in the college game and the coaches behave better on average. This is for many reasons but one of them, in my opinion, is that officials are less hesitant to whack because they don't have to have the "coach, you've lost the box" conversation which everyone knows just throws fuel on the fire.

The seatbelt rule just gives high school officials something else we have to police that has nothing to do with the game. It's a well-intentioned rule that does anything but make the game better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Team control/throwin/backcourt/backcourt exceptions?

Player delays the game by preventing the ball from being made promptly live or from being put in play technical foul/team delays the game by acts such as: preventing the ball from being made live promptly or from being put in play technical foul/warnings?

Contact above the shoulders Point of Emphasis/intentional foul/flagrant foul/personal foul/violation?

At least one of these has to be close?

I said "worst rule," not "worst written rule." There's nothing wrong with those rules you mentioned other than the NFHS's sloppy editing.