View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 15, 2020, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Were there two rule sets for high school boys and girls before they came under the umbrella of the NFHS (with the same size ball for many years).

I think I remember that back when I was in high school the girls played six on six basketball....

I'm sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be moseying by shortly to give us all the ancient times details.
I'm no official, but I'm an old timer, and can tell you that those girls' basketball rules were kept by NAGWS. Iowa's was the last state association to use them interscholastically. At one time there were 3 zones on the court, but later they liberalized them to 2.

Before NCAA administered women's basketball, intercollegiate women's basketball was administered by the AIAW, who also had their own playing rules.

As to the other rules relating to those marks on the court you were probably expecting Mark DeNucci to mosey along for, I believe you were referring to the provisions on "lack of sufficient action". They depended on the score of the game at the time. The team that was behind in score, believe it or not, was responsible for "action"; if the score was tied, it was (again, believe it or not) the team without the ball that was responsible. Seems like these provisions were there to magnify an advantage.

When the team with responsibility for action had the ball in the front court, it was a violation for their players alone or in combination to hold the ball in the midcourt area defined by those marks for 5 seconds at a time, after a once-a-game warning. When the opponents of he team with responsibility for action had the ball in that midcourt area, after a similar warning, the team with responsibility had to not leave him not closely guarded for 5 seconds at a time. If those opponents also had another player in the midcourt area, the team with responsibility had to put one other player in the midcourt area when the ball was there. Additional players by the team without responsibility did not incur any additional requirement of defenders to come into that area.