View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 07, 2020, 02:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

We Spit On Ourselves ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Distancing? In the amount of air on a cross country course?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Huh? So I guess that means no passing either ... Once the race begins, runners will be near each other big time.
Although it will vary from race to race, staggered starts mean that runners will run within a group of "cohorts" (members of their own team/school), and then compare times at the end of the race.

Also, starting groups could be smaller, faster runners in one cohort, slower runners in another cohort, males in different cohorts than females.

Also a possibility that only the fastest runners (with a real chance of scoring) would race that day.

Many years ago, in most of my son's high school dual-meets, or tri-meets, every single runner (including some real stick-to-it-ness tortoises) on the the two, or three, teams would start at the same time, boys, girls, fast, slow.

With staggered starts, one walks the course, races, and is on the bus with the same people. Easier for contact tracing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Runners often draft behind other runners in a very narrow course and could be running through the previous runners exhaled air, and cross country runners are known for constantly spitting (in high school my son's team wore T-shirts warning of such).
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
... more heavy breathing and close proximity to other participants over all others? My guess is CC. Runners are gasping all over the place, expelling all kinds of respiratory fluids. Spitting has also been mentioned. Seems like a recipe for transmission.
I contacted my son and he reminded me what his high school warm up shirts said "XC - We Spit On Ourselves".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Sep 08, 2020 at 03:49pm.