View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 23, 2020, 01:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No More Jump Balls. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Realistically, I won't be able to monitor them coming onto the circle, as that is the U1's job. The U1 should be able to deal with players illegally encroaching on the plane of the center circle.
In a two person game, the umpire has to chop in the tap, so he's only looking at the jumpers with his direct vision between the toss and the tap.

How can the umpire (two person game) accurately and realistically observe (with peripheral vision) all eight nonjumpers (and often the two jumpers) for violations, especially when jump ball rules are so complex (and we only see a jump ball about once a game), especially the seldom called violations (those other than ball touched on the way up, ball touched three times by jumper, ball caught by jumper), when such violations happen in a split second, keeping in mind that some have described jump balls as microbursts of mayhem.

It's the twentieth-first century. We now have alternating possession arrows. No more jump balls. Start the game by giving the ball to the visiting team and use the alternating possession arrow after that, including the overtime periods.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Aug 23, 2020 at 01:25pm.