View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 23, 2020, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches View Post
WAYGD? What are you gonna do?

Obviously things are still fluid around the country with respect to HS team sports...Football getting ready to kick off....Volleyball playing....A friend of mine who is a V football official attended his daughters V VB contest and they made spectators wear masks. In game participants and officials did not but bench people did. Okay, I guess that's good...also a limited number of tickets available to each player's family and they were required to check in and have name checked off the list before allowing entry.

So we are all curious what's going to happen with hoops...but what are YOU going to do? Do you have concerns? Have you decided you'll bypass officiating this year? Mask, no mask, mask with the gonzo nose/regular whistle, regular mask and the handheld whistle?

WAYGD?

Me...I'm still up in the air. I don't really want to wear mask officiating and refuse to use handheld whistles as I think they suck and you can't really hear them.

Where's your head at right now in August with respect to officiating basketball?

We got off topic.

I have a military restriction that is making the decision for me. We are in a category 3 (of 4) health protection condition (we call it HPCON) in my area and until that falls a notch, I can’t gather in groups larger than 10 and cannot participate in any group exercise. So by logical interpretation, that precludes me from officiating. I told my assignor as much and he graciously understood. From the tenor of one of his recent emails, I get the feeling about half of our normal group of folks who work summer and fall basketball aren’t willing to or able to work right now, and he’s not at all ashamed to tell his customer leagues that he can’t help them when he can’t. We’re indispensable to the game and the league coordinators know it. Unless they budge from their historical $25-30 per game fees, few of us will be wooed.

If the HPCON is lowered, I’ll open myself back up to being assigned and carry on. I’d probably wear a mask into and out of the facility, during halftime, etc. But not while actually working. I would if the sport didn’t involve a whistle, but with a whistle it’s just not practical. I’d also probably sanitize frequently and follow other state/league guidelines that are being put out.

If I take it seriously and follow the precautions and rules, I’d say my chances of acquiring the virus wouldn’t be all that much higher than picking it up while going to pick up food at a restaurant or shopping at a grocery store. That’s why I’d be comfortable coming back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk