View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 22, 2020, 11:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

Egregious Jump Ball Violations ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Yada yada yada.
Yada yada yada. Isn't this how some (but not all) otherwise very good officials view the jump ball rules? Only memorizing and calling the most egregious violations (ball touched on the way up, ball touched three times by jumper, ball caught by jumper), especially in a two person game, often ignoring (or not being able to fully observe) all eight nonjumpers?

I'm considered to be pretty good with rules (colleagues often come to me with rule questions and interpretations and I've served on various training committees), but I had to double check this situation (below) before I posted it. Ilyazhito's post seemed too simple, I sensed that he was missing something, but I still had to look it up it the rulebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
If I see non-jumpers encroaching onto the circle, I remind them to stay off the circle ...
Quote:
... until the ball is tossed after which they can move onto the circle into an unoccupied space, even if it's before the tossed ball is touched by the jumper.
Quote:
No more jump balls. The jump ball is as outdated as the set shot, short shorts, and chicken wire cages around the perimeter of the court. For generations of players and fans they are a forgettable anachronistic formality. Coaches bemoan inconsistency in officials tossing the ball, and unevenly governed rules about the movement of players during the jump ball, and some officials are weary of policing these microbursts of mayhem. Start the game by giving the ball to the visiting team and use the alternating possession arrow after that, including the overtime periods.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Aug 22, 2020 at 05:43pm.