View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 21, 2020, 01:49pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post

Why do people always feel like they need to tell other adults that there are risks in life, like other adults are stupid and don't know that? Or like other adults have never taken risks and applied risk analysis to their decisions?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I get what you are saying, but there are numerous studies indicating that the vast majority of adult Americans are mathematically illiterate, especially in their understanding and knowledge of statistics. In fact there was recently a study published (researchers from Stanford) showing that most Americans significantly overestimate their chances of getting infected and of having serious coronavirus related illness or death. There study shows the reasons for this are math illiteracy, mass hysteria in the news media, and government actions are the leading causes of the overestimation. Unfortunately, most American adults are stupid when it comes to math-related issues. I do agree that most people do not want to have other people they do not know telling them what they should or should not be doing.