View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 19, 2020, 01:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Implication ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
A2 is not an "entering substitute," so 3-3-2 does not apply. Allow the switch or replacement on a non-jumping player for the designated jumper; this is not a substitution for two reasons: A2 is not a substitute, nor is she entering (she was already in the game). "A substitute becomes a player when he/she legally enters the court." 4-34-3. "Designated jumper" is not defined anywhere in the rule or case books, nor do the rules state that a "designated jumper" cannot be replaced by a player already on the floor; the prohibition in 3-3-2 only bars a substitute for the "designated jumper"...
This (below) is the only reference that I can find regarding "designated jumper". While it's not defined, it's implied that such a "thing" exists (especially when one views the casebook play 6.4.1 SITUATION C), and LRZ is correct that this specific implication only seems to apply to a substitution situation, not to the players already on the court.

3-3-2:The substitute shall remain outside the boundary until an
official beckons, whereupon he/she shall enter immediately. If the ball is
about to become live, the beckoning signal should be withheld. The
entering substitute shall not replace a designated jumper or a free thrower
except as in 8-2 and 3. If the substitute enters to replace a player who must
jump or attempt a free throw, he/she shall withdraw until the next
opportunity to substitute.

The casebook play tells us that "designated jumper" applies to a tapped ball being touched simultaneously by nonjumpers A2 and B2 and then going out of bounds, or the tapped ball being simultaneously controlled by nonjumpers A2 and B2.

The casebook play doesn't tell us what to do if the jumpers simultaneously tap the ball out of bounds, but most of us would probably rejump with the same jumpers (are they "designated jumpers"?).

It also doesn't tell us that "designated jumper" applies to a rejump as in my first situation where the tossed ball hits the floor untouched.

Shouldn't "designated jumper" also apply to my first situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
1) Situation: Official tosses the ball to begin the game. Jumpers A1 and B1 are unable to touch the tossed ball and the ball hits the floor. The ball became live with the toss, the game officially starts, but the clock didn't start. Team A coach requests that player A2 jump in the re-tossed jump ball. A1 is not injured nor is A1 bleeding.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Aug 19, 2020 at 02:09pm.