View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 18, 2020, 11:59am
Esteemed Forum Member

Overtime Jump Ball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
... a technical foul occurring after the release of the tossed ball, but prior to it being touched ... So the ball has become live and then dead, yet no time has come off the clock. Subs are certainly permitted at this time. In my situation, we even attempted 2FTs with 8:00 still showing on the clock. Subs could happen before, between, or after those FTs.
Agree that substitutes can come in at these times, but since it's the start of the game, nobody has to sit a tick because nobody came out of the game, and tried to renter.

3-3-4: A player who has been replaced, or directed to leave the game shall
not re-enter before the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been
started properly following his/her replacement.

If your technical foul after the toss situation happened during the jump ball to start an overtime period (as mentioned by Altor), then the "sit a tick" rule may apply.

Or does, the free throws awarded because of a technical foul may be attempted by any player of the offended team, including an eligible substitute trump the "sit a tick" rule for such an overtime jump ball technical free throw?

For example, the best free throw shooter on team was a player on the court at the end of regulation, but didn't start the overtime period and was not on the floor for the overtime jump ball when the technical foul occurred before the clock started? Does the team's best free throw shooter, who is on the bench, have to sit a tick to attempt the technical foul free throws?

8-3: The free throws awarded because of a technical foul may be attempted by
any player of the offended team, including an eligible substitute or
designated starter. The coach or captain shall designate the free thrower(s).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Aug 18, 2020 at 12:33pm.