View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 11, 2020, 04:32pm
Administrator

Bad Boys!

The NFHS adopted the "extended arm with fist" signal for a TCF which was not PCF the same year that Hank Zaborniak, Jr. (of the OhioHSAA) became the Chairman of the NFHS Rules Committee, which if my memory serves me correctly was the 2012-13 School Year.

The PCF signal of the "hand on the back of the head" informed the Scorer that the Fouler would be charged but no FTs would be awarded . The "extended arm with fist" signal was adopted to inform the Scorer that the Fouler would be charged but no FTs would be awarded despite the PF not being a PCF.

Many of you have heard me use the old commercial: "When E.F. Hutton speaks, people listen!" many time before. With that in mind, one of the things that Hank did for the start of the 2012-13 School Year was to inform all Basketball Officials would use the "hand on the back of the head" signal for all TCFs because Scorers would not understand the change in the signalling mechanic, !

I let Hank know that making that change did not set a good example to the other States, and that Mark, Jr., and I could not in good conscious not use the TCF signal as adopted by the NFHS. Needless to say, I am confident that Mark, Jr., and I were the only two OhioHSAA Basketball Officials that have never followed Hank's directive. That said, Mark, Jr. and I were:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXMHaYoc9J8

That said, since the NFHS has changed its Signal Chart, then Mark, Jr., will follow that Signal Chart if sports are played this year.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio