View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 08, 2020, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My doctor told me that if all of those who were medically able, and of appropriate age, would simply wear a surgical mask all the time (or at least while indoors) when out in public (outside the family home) we would be a lot healthier and be able to fully restart our economy.
According to studies, masks are PRIMARILY (or I guess more is a better way to put it) effective in preventing those who have the disease from spreading it than they are in keeping those who don't have it from getting it. People who have been around a lot of people and in close contact or have tested positive should wear masks but those of us who aren't positive and aren't symptomatic are mostly wasting our time because other studies have shown that asymptomatic spread is largely a myth. MILD symptom spread happens, so if you have ANYTHING that COULD be related to Covid, you should definitely put a mask on if you go out in public, but I'm really not a big fan of the government telling me what I have to do after wrecking my business due to effectively closing a bunch of my clients' businesses. Sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth if you get my drift.

Besides, if social distancing (which I practice religiously when I'm out, and my wife has seemed to practice our entire 2 and a half decades of marriage) works, why do we need the masks? If masks work, why do we need to social distance? When the whole thing started, the idea was to flatten the curve by slowing the rate of the spread of the disease so hospitals wouldn't be overrun; it WAS NOT to ELIMINATE the possibility of everyone getting sick. While I'm all for that if possible, I'm more for people not losing their livelihood. 30-80K die every year due to the normal flu. According to the CDC, as of this post, we've had approx. 130K deaths due to C19, and theres credible evidence that this number could be exaggerated. Even if it doubles this year (doubtful), we're looking at 3x the rate of our worst flu death rate. That's terrible, but the late '60s Hong Kong flu killed as many as 100K, and that was with a much lower US population (61 percent). Not the same, but not too far off. We've dealt with this before.

Your doc's assertion about starting the economy with masks is just wrong. Many states, including California, have mask requirements yet still don't allow some businesses to operate. Its funny that if you read the CA mask requirements and exemptions and then ask yourself, do all these individuals who are exempt just magically not have C19 or are somehow not able to either transmit the disease (or get sick)? Or, are the reasons for exemption more important than the requirement to begin with? Well, if they are more important, why isn't your's or my reasons for not wearing one important? At some point you have to ask: is this REALLY about health?

The answer, in my opinion, is no. You may disagree, of course, but I think the evidence is very clear.

If you or someone you live with has a condition that puts you at risk, stay home or mask up by all means. Take all the precautions necessary. Hell, call me if I'm around and I'll do whatever I can to help. But don't tell me how to live my life. I'm pretty healthy; I've had the flu once, maybe twice in my life and that's with minimal flu shots; I get a cold, if that, 2-3 times a decade and a sinus infection a couple of more times. I'm sorry; I'm not giving you the middle finger at all. I'm simply disgusted that a certain segment of society doesn't seem to flinch when power hungry politicians say the following:

-- liquor stores are essential and churches (among other places) aren't
-- alcoholics, etc., must be able to buy alcohol in liquor stores even though in places where there are liquor stores they can still buy beer/wine in grocery stores and convenience stores (liquor usually has higher taxes)
-- getting close to people at Walmart or the grocery store is fine and has little impact on disease spread but that's not true at restaurants
-- protesting or rioting over whatever issue is fine but attending a church service or political rally puts lives at risk
-- your health can be based solely on your political views according to some so-called doctors and health "professionals"