View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 25, 2020, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What do you mean by "another referee?" When do referees run the clock? Now if that is a local thing, then I guess, but not the case in many parts of the country.

Not a huge fan of the shot clock for all high school games.

Peace
Two of my associations use officials to run the game or shot clocks, at least for varsity games. For one association, the game clock operators are also potential alternate officials for varsity games. For the other association, clock operators (game and shot), and sometimes scorekeepers are hired by the schools along with the game officials. Any of the clock operators/scorekeepers who is also an on-floor official serves as an alternate official. I have been called into action as an alternate myself.

In the other associations I work for, students or faculty serve as table personnel for all games. Usually, faculty do a better job than students, but there are some exceptions.

Officials as ECOs and shot clock operators work best, but faculty operators also work well. DC has had a shot clock since about 2016, and MD has had a shot clock for girls since 1970, and for boys since 2018. I like the phase-in plan for GA, because it gives schools time to acquire shot clock units. Maybe NFHS will adopt something similar, because it already phases in uniform requirements, or VHSL could adopt something similar, to make rules more consistent across the DMV.