View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 24, 2020, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I've tried 3 of the electronic whistles. They may sound a little different but the ones I got were really close to a Fox 40. In fact, 2 of them were made by Fox 40
. They were just slightly quieter (as measured by my ears AND a sound meter).

They sound instantly when pressing the button, so there isn't any delay to speak of. In fact, they may have a bit better timing than air since, if you were exhaling at the point you needed a whistle, you have to breath in first before you can blow (much).

Also, the sound can be held at full volume while pressing the button. With air, the attack is sharp and loud but it is difficult to maintain peak volume and the level quickly falls below electronic whistle's level after a brief time....but usually longer than we normally need. It may be that the advantage of the standard whistle is the strong attack.

As for being able to grab the whistle through the mask, that means you'll be touching your mask countless times through the game. That, touching the mask, particularly over and over, is one of things that defeats the purpose of wearing one.
I was referring to the delay of the official deciding to press the button. Some might be quick and do it well after a short term of practice/adjustment/refinement. The other 80%, many on the older side, could easily struggle. I can see where many would opt out of a hand-held whistle simply because they are "set in their ways" and are resistant to change. You ever try to critique and older official? it rarely works. You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

I would not envision touching the mask "..countless times.." Additionally, one could easily put a new on one every quarter. The masks protect others from the wearer. I would not be surprised, although it is not perfect, if all players/coaches/officials were required to be tested. It is getting easier and more efficient every day. If there are 30 players, maybe 4 coaches, and 3 officials who were tested/cleared, touching the ball/masks, etc. would not be a concern of mine. The ball could easily be sanitized/wiped, masks changed, etc. and again, I would not be too concerned. Maybe I am too optimistic.