View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 24, 2020, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
One can grab the whistle through the mask, remove it from the mouth and speak if necessary. Speaking will be an issue for everybody, presuming all are wearing masks. Imagine all the things you would not understand from a coach who is wearing a mask. It is simply the nature of the situation. Same with lip-readers. The nature of radio makes it impossible for lip readers and it would be the same here. There will always be some that are physically impaired. Can't cater to everyone although we do the best we can. If the masks were worn, imagine how big body language would become, lol. The electronic whistles could work but they do sound different and there would be a learning curve as far as delays, inadvertent whistles, looking different, etc.
I've tried 3 of the electronic whistles. They may sound a little different but the ones I got were really close to a Fox 40. In fact, 2 of them were made by Fox 40
. They were just slightly quieter (as measured by my ears AND a sound meter).

They sound instantly when pressing the button, so there isn't any delay to speak of. In fact, they may have a bit better timing than air since, if you were exhaling at the point you needed a whistle, you have to breath in first before you can blow (much).

Also, the sound can be held at full volume while pressing the button. With air, the attack is sharp and loud but it is difficult to maintain peak volume and the level quickly falls below electronic whistle's level after a brief time....but usually longer than we normally need. It may be that the advantage of the standard whistle is the strong attack.

As for being able to grab the whistle through the mask, that means you'll be touching your mask countless times through the game. That, touching the mask, particularly over and over, is one of things that defeats the purpose of wearing one.