View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 08, 2020, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Texas: UIL has opened up this week for schools to begin summer conditioning (regulated under normal circumstances) with some strict conditions. I assume the private school associations have done something similar. It is up to the school district to open or not and/or set their own policies. My guess is that most districts will go ahead and open under the state imposed restrictions but some parents may restrict their kids from coming on campus.

For the last several weeks, I've put the Texas football season and fall sports in general at 50/50, but I'm coming off that. I think its going to go full tilt, with crowds as we will see in the next few days that the various "gatherings" (call them what you want) in major cities over the last 2 weeks have not sent up a spike in cases. If I end up being wrong about that and there is a spike, then all bets are off and I can assure you that virtually no state will have school or other organized sports anytime soon -- probably until next spring at the earliest.

I don't know about youth leagues specifically except what I've heard. Some baseball and probably softball leagues, because they're outdoor, have begun practicing according to second and third hand info I've gotten. Every indoor activity I've heard of, including basketball camps, have been cancelled.

I can foresee football happening in outdoor venues only and volleyball not happening this fall. I can also foresee school districts not fielding teams because parents don't want their kids playing and they don't have enough. I did fear private school enrollment would drop but after a discussion yesterday with a source at a large private school, I don't necessarily think that will happen.