View Single Post
Old Wed May 20, 2020, 04:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The college camp system is in definite need of an overhaul. Supervisors are double dipping, and most times you are not getting instruction commensurate to the amount of money you pay. Additionally, quite often no matter how good you are, you're not getting hired the first time around. Some supervisors say that it's a function of "getting to know you better", but just as often it's a function of getting more money from that official before hiring them.

What's really appalling are camps that charge $500 to $600 yet provide no housing or meals.
This really is about the level of camp you are attending. Because an NAIA or D3 camp is not the same as a major conference consortium camp. Those have a much smaller margin for error. Also if you attend those games, you can get hired the first time, but you probably have to be already working D1. I have a friend that got hired going the first time, but he was already working at the D1 level. And he had some people speaking on his behalf too which helped.

I got hired in two leagues I work the first time I attended camp too, but that was lower-level college and I was recommended to go to the camps. Also in both those camps, almost all the clinicians were the same so I was seen 3 times by the same people in for these two supervisors. Any little thing helps. Oh, neither of those camps I referenced were over $300. The supervisors are D1 officials and my location change probably helped too.

I do not know how I get hired in either without going to camp. This also might be a part of the country thing too. Out West, there is an assignor that runs no camps, because he was told not to. The Midwest where I live, the B1G has taken over several leagues and took on a couple of D3 leagues under their umbrella. So an official that works D3 can go to the B1G camp and already have access to those that make the decision for the consortium hires. I have no idea what happens on the East Coast or the South. The SEC has a new supervisor so we will see if he changes some things.

Peace