View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 18, 2020, 01:59pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Manny, are you replying the the section you highlighted in red, or the scenario in the OP?
I was really just asking about the one-base award in general. I thought it was you, but looking back, it was CecilOne who said that a U-Trip UIC told him that the ruling was the same in both USSSA and NFHS. Since I don't umpire U-Trip, I was curious if the one-base award in USSSA was from the time the ball entered DBT, which would align with NFHS. Or would it be from the time the ball left the fielder's glove, which would make it different than NFHS.

FWIW, I believe NCAA would consider this a batted ball deflected into DBT, which is a two-base award at the time of the pitch. There is an NCAA case play that involves a loose pitch which the catcher subsequently kicks into DBT. The ruling is that the ball's status when kicked was that it was still a pitched ball since the catcher never controlled it to throw it, so the award is one base from the pitch. So on this play, the kicked ball would still be considered a batted ball that goes into DBT since it was never controlled by the fielder.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker