View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 06, 2020, 02:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rule Misconceptions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Not sure why the moans and groans are relevant to knowing the rule.
Knowing rule misconceptions in advance can help basketball officials understand where players, coaches, parents, and fans, are “coming from”, especially when dealing with a questioning coach or player, already knowing in advance what they're confused about.

But that's not the important part.

More so, knowing rule misconceptions in advance can help rookie basketball officials by clearing up misconceptions that they might have had coming into basketball officiating after years of being a player, or a fan.

I know some inexperienced (or low quality experienced) basketball officials who carry many misconceptions (including this backcourt one).

I believe that it's best to head these misconceptions "off at the pass", and not to ignore them, or discount them, but to deal with them (especially in the case of rookie basketball officials) "head on".

Don't only teach the correct rule, but offer the misconceived rule and warn against it.

Frontcourt endline versus sideline throwin?

99% of us know the rule, let's not ignore the 1% that don't, confront them with the misconception and clear it up, the earlier, the better.

Ignoring this misconception when we are aware of it is not going to be helpful to our cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Are you stopping the game to explain the rule to the fans?
Sometimes I'd like to, but it's not part of my job description.

Instead I just think to myself, "Ignorant idiots", shake my head, and laugh it off.

After forty years, I know better than to confront angry fans, especially well dressed ones carrying pitchforks and torches.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Mar 06, 2020 at 04:01pm.