View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 26, 2020, 03:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Interrupted Dribble ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefBob View Post
1. While in the act of dribbling, A1 loses control of the dribble, the ball then bounces off A2 or B2, A1 regains control of the ball with two hands and then starts dribbling again. ILLEGAL DRIBBLE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
1. Only would the ball contacting B2 allow A1 to dribble again. Now when you say touches someone, just touching alone does not allow a player to dribble again. It has to be part of some action that either helped them lost control of the ball or continue an active pass of the ball.
9-5: A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has
ended, unless it is after he/she has lost control because of:
ART. 1 A try for field goal.
ART. 2 A touch by an opponent.
ART. 3 A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by,
another player.

I certainly see JRutledge's point (lost control because of ...).

Just not certain about his answer (only would the ball contacting B2 allow A1 to dribble again).

If I end my dribble and I'm just standing there holding the ball and if my teammate comes along and just touches the ball (no loss of control), I can't start a new legal dribble. Right?

If I end my dribble and I'm just standing there holding the ball and if my opponent comes along and just touches the ball (no loss of control), I can't start a new legal dribble. Right?

A1 loses control of the ball as a result his own ineptitude which results in an interrupted dribble. Ball legally touches teammate A2's leg. A1 picks up the loose ball after it touches A2? Can A1 legally start a new dribble?

A1 loses control of the ball as a result his own ineptitude which results in an interrupted dribble. Ball legally touches opponent B2's leg. A1 picks up the loose ball after it touches B2? Can A1 legally start a new dribble?

Is it possible that it could be an illegal second dribble if touched by either A2 or B2?

Neither of them caused A1 to "lose control".

It was A1's own ineptitude that caused him to "lose control" that resulted in an interrupted dribble, not a touch by a teammate or an opponent.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 01, 2020 at 01:50pm.