View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 22, 2020, 12:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Designated Spot ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
... he loses it, it's a violation.
NFHS: Assuming no help from the administering official (once the official handles it, all normal rules no longer apply), would the inbounder have to leave his three foot wide designated spot and/or would the play take more than five seconds?

The inbounder is allowed to fumble (out of bounds), jump, move both feet, move his pivot foot, dribble (out of bounds), step on the boundary line (not over), and move backward as far as space allows; as long as the inbounder keeps one foot on, or over, the three foot wide designated spot and releases the ball within five seconds.

So what did the inbounder illegally do to cause a violation?

In my opinion, this is an error by the administering official (however, maybe the fan wouldn't return the ball so the official had to get involved), and if the official hadn't handled the ball it may not have been a violation by the inbounder, certainly not for losing the ball as described in the original post (need more information).

Even if the inbounder had fumbled the ball inbounds, it's still not a violation unless the inbounder is the first to touch the inbounded ball.

Why would it be a violation for the inbounder to simply fumble the ball out of bounds?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 22, 2020 at 02:07pm.