Thread: Assignor Pay
View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 14, 2020, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
One intangible or two that you might want to think about go beyond monetary renumeration. Does there exist an adequate pool of officials to assign to the games you'd be responsible for. If not, your role as assigner will be a frustrating experience from the start. Or whether, for the amount that you'd be receiving, you'd be able to evaluate and remain in touch with the levels of proficiency of the individuals in your assigning pool in order to match the most challenging games with the most proficient officials. Nowadays, some assigners are jumping into the business concerned only about gobbling up schools and conferences, then "filling slots", regardless of these concerns, and it's disbenefiting our vocation as a whole. Other assigners are going so far as hiring a trainer or training staff to enhance the skills of his/her assignees and identifying personally who's able and who's unable to do what.
Not disuading you. Only expressing some considerations that might come into play about which you might already be well aware.
Hopefully, important considerations like these will play a part in your decision whether or not to become an assigner.
Full story:

Our assignments are coming to us with anywhere from 72-24 hours notice. All assignments. This is frustrating the hell out of our refs, and we're starting to lose people.

We lack development, and our top talent is either old or electing a college-only schedule. We could keep the latter if we got our act together, but I'd say inside 5 years we won't be able to provide quality officiating to games that need them. I'm also one of the top officials, and taking this role might take me off the HS court, and that's a big hit as I work a lot of games for this group.

It's a multi-level problem that starts from the bottom, and we'd need several key reforms starting at recruitment, development, and retention. Something that the entire nation is struggling with. But if schedules got better, we could hold on to enough people to allow us to "bring up the bench".