View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 07, 2020, 05:00pm
This IS My Social Life

Dislodging the Ball from the Thrower's Hands, but...

Is the actual element of "reaching through the boundary plane" necessary to issue a 4-47-3 warning along with a player technical in this play?

A1's momentum carries him OOB after a drive and successful score. B1 grabs the ball and steps OOB to initiate the fast break with a quick throw in. On the way back to the court, A1 makes contact with the ball and dislodges it from B1's hands. A player technical was issued. But should this have been a player technical with the delay of game warning at the same time as dictated by 9-2-10 PENALTY 3, 9.2.10A, and 10-4-10? Those rules all include the feature of reaching through the OOB boundary plane, which this player did not do because he was already OOB.

The coach asked, "Don't we get a warning for that?" I said, "Coach, when your player dislodged the ball and received the technical foul, that was also considered the warning," recalling in my mind the above rule-based situations. I'm not sure if I was right or not. Any help?