View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 18, 2003, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Luv4Asian8
I'm still new, don't forget please. :-) But I've read in the NFHS that throw-in locations were a concern.

Situation from last night: I was lead (as Umpire). Ball went OOB on end line by defense. I took ball out on my sideline, I didn't hear any complaints from the Referee, but sure did from the player in-bounding the ball.

The reason I took it out on sideline was because I read/heard somewhere that for the offense to in-bound under the basket was TOO ADVANTAGEOUS to them...just pass to post and shoot basket - 2pts.

Was my reasoning correct?
Your reasoning is correct from the defensive coach's point of view, but not according to the rule book. The rule is clearly that the ball is thrown-in from the spot nearest to the infraction. If that infraction is OOB, the ball comes back inbounds where it went out. Remember defense committed an infraction here. They are receiving consequences -- which could well include a basket. Next time, perhaps they can arrange for the ball to go out on the sideline instead. Also remember that you have no discretion in this call. There's no judgment allowed. The ball comes in where the ball went out. Period.