View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 13, 2019, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, here are the NFHS answers & my thoughts on these.

59. The NFHS answer is B. The problem is that they are clearly attempting to test one’s knowledge of the basket interference rule, not goaltending as the question states. There is no possible way that GT can occur when the ball enters the basket from below as it will either become dead when it passes through the goal while moving in the wrong direction since this is a violation or the ball will remain within the basket where if it is touched by a player, the infraction is BI. This question has now been on the exam for two years in a row.

65. The NFHS answer is E. Ugh. The very definition of a correctable error provided in 2-10-1 states that it involves setting aside a rule. I answered A as several of you responding to this thread also have posted.

71. Apparently, I’m in the minority in believing that there is a problem with this question. The NFHS answer is D. All of the above, but I can prove that this is not correct. My opinion is that this is true only when the ball contacts an official.
Consider NFHS Case Book play 5.2.1 Sit C. The play details a 3-pt try by A1 which is subsequently legally touched by either an opponent or a teammate while the ball is in flight towards the goal. The player touching the try can be either within the two-point area or fully outside the 3-pt line. Therefore this breaks down into four cases to consider. Three of these result in a 3-pt goal being scored. That cannot be the case if the ball had contacted the floor. The goal would only be worth two points per NFHS Case Book ruling 5.1.1 Sit A.

I don’t know when 4-4-4 was changed, but this rule is not correct. There is a difference between a ball contacting an official or a player on the court.

72. The problem here is purely definitional. The “bonus” is defined as the second FT awarded for a common foul in NFHS rule 4-8-1. Parts a&b of that rule tell us when this second FT is awarded. Since it is automatically awarded beginning with the 10th foul in a half, the NFHS provided answer of D cannot be correct. The answer should be C. (Yes, this definition is a hold-over from the days when a single FT was awarded for the first six common fouls committed by a team during a half and “the bonus” kicked in with the seventh foul and had to be earned by making the first awarded FT attempt.)

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Nov 13, 2019 at 08:41pm.