View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 06, 2019, 10:47pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Members of my local IAABO board have to take a locally generated twenty-five question Mechanics Exam.

Here was the first question:

1) The referee will summon the visiting team head coach and captains while the umpire will summon the home team head coach and captains for the pregame meeting. Is this correct? No 13-B-1-C, D

I answered "Yes", because that's the way, and the only way, that we've been doing it for forty years.

And I got it wrong, here's the citation:

2019-20 IAABO Mechanics Manual: 13-B-1-C, D: The referee will summon the home and visiting team head coaches. The umpire will summon the home and visiting team captains.

So I checked out last year's IAABO Mechanics Manual:

2018-19 IAABO Mechanics Manual: 11-B-1-C, D: The referee will summon the visiting team’s head coach and captains(s). The umpire will summon the home team’s head coach and captains(s).

As far as I know, this unannounced change wasn't publicized in any recent IAABO publication, nor was it announced at our local board's annual interpretation meeting (new rules, Points of Emphasis, etc.).

Anybody know the story behind this unannounced change ?

Bill:

I would suggest that you contact Roger MacTavish, Chairman of the IAABO Rules Examination Committee.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio