View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 29, 2019, 11:05am
Stirrer of the Pot

To add to my last, this is what Vickie put out on the SUP in November. It was rather short and sweet.

Quote:
Taking the Signal: The pitcher must take a signal while in the pitching position.
Taking a signal from behind the pitcher’s plate (e.g., looking at the signal arm band) is illegal since the pitcher is not in the pitching position. The result is an illegal pitch.
So the latest just added the clarification that the pitcher may look into the dugout to get the signal while she's still disengaged, step on the plate, and then look at her arm band for that signal. I'm not really sure what compelled this clarification, other than perhaps some umpires or coaches asked, "What happens when..."

But this latest clarification does add another element of inconsistency into the rule enforcement. So a pitcher can look into the dugout from behind the plate, see her coach flash "1-4-3" with his/her hand, step on the plate, and then look for "1-4-3" on her arm band to get the pitch call. But she cannot look toward home from behind the plate and see her catcher flash "1-4-3" with her hand. The rule requires her to be in contact with the plate to receive anything from her catcher. Ugh.

Now, in my game last week, every pitcher (each team threw four pitchers) got into the pitching position with their pivot foot on and their stride foot in contact with the back of the plate, looked into the dugout, then looked at their arm band, before joining their hands. No issues there. It will be that one pitcher next spring who looks at her catcher before contacting the plate......
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker

Last edited by Manny A; Tue Oct 29, 2019 at 01:26pm.