View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 29, 2019, 10:56am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
This Clarification 1 is accurate if the action ends there. But it does not end there. For some unexplainable reason, they don't continue the logical progression in the clarification to where F1 steps on, pauses, and takes the signal (which makes everything LEGAL!!!).

If anyone here belongs to SUP on Arbiter (which I do not yet), there is a clarification, I believe from Vickie, that came in 9/23/19 that clears up this whole mess.

I was able to find it via Google that day, but not since.

It spells out the entire process. This is my paraphrase:

Pitcher possesses ball in back of circle. Looks at armband. Steps on pitcher's plate. Takes or simulates taking signal from catcher or dugout. Looks at armband. Brings hands together. Proceeds to pitch.

Ruling. This is a legal pitch.

Can someone who is registered with SUP please check postings from around that date and verify what I found that day?

Thanks very much.
So what I quoted in my OP came from the latest clarification on the SUP. It refutes what you wrote above regarding a pitcher who looks at her armband while she's still not in contact with the plate. If she does that, as mentioned in Clarification 1, it's an illegal pitch. The pitcher cannot in any way, shape or form do anything while not in contact that looks like she's receiving the signal from her catcher or she's referring to her armband.

Here's the entire clarification from the SUP:

Quote:
Rule Date Interpretation/Clarification/Situation:

10.2.1.2 10/21/19 10.2.1.2 The stride foot may be on or behind the pitcher’s plate as far back as desired. Once the pitcher initially sets the toe of her stride foot, she may not step back any farther to increase the distance behind the pitcher’s plate.

Clarification: The stride foot may be on or behind the pitcher’s plate as far back as desired. Once the pitcher takes the proper pitching position required for taking the signal and initially sets the toe of her stride foot, she may not move that foot in any direction (backward, forward, sideways or off the ground). The proper pitching position as defined in Rule 10.2.1, including the position of the stride foot, must be established before taking the signal. Once the pitcher has established her stride foot, simple dropping or rocking onto her heel is not a violation. The first movement of the stride foot is the forward step when the pitching motion starts.

10.2.2 10/21/19 10.2.2 While in the pitching position and taking the signal, the pitcher must take or appear to take a signal. The signal need not come from the catcher.

Clarification 1: Taking the signal from behind the pitcher’s plate from her signal arm band or the catcher is illegal since the pitcher is not in the pitching position. The result is an illegal pitch.

Clarification 2: A coach may give visual or verbal signal while the pitcher is not in the pitching position, however, when the pitcher assumes the pitching position she must look at her signal arm band or the catcher to take or appear to take the signal. The pitcher may not simply step into the pitching position, put her hands together and start the pitching motion. There must be timing consistent with taking the signal from an arm band or catcher. Failing to do so will result in an illegal pitch.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker