View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 25, 2019, 01:44pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
For the few three person games that we did back then (and continue to do now), I seem to remember it that way.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.'s post reminded me that I once officiated the Irish National Women's Team at Saint Joseph's College (West Hartford, CT).

Our assigner back then, a proud Irish American, sent two Irish American officials, with me, a direct paternal descendant of Niall of the Nine Hostages, King of Tara in northwestern Ireland in the late 4th century A.D., being selected for the honor.

The Polish Nat'l. Men's Team had an official that traveled with the team and officiated the game with us. He was a Civil Engineer whose specialty was Transportation Engineering and he spoke better English than all of us, .

He told his in our pregame that he would handle all communication with the players and coaches because no one spoke English, BUT they all were very well versed in the usage of a word that started with "f" and ended in "k" and all of its variants, .

He was also a chain smoker. CSU provided us with a nice boxed dinner after the game. After that game it took him less than 15 minutes to shower, change into street clothes, grab his dinner and make it to the team's bus so he could grab a smoke.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Fri Oct 25, 2019 at 01:45pm. Reason: Corrected spelling.