View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 25, 2019, 12:18pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
There was a time when there were no rotations in 3-person mechanics? I'm surprised, because ballside mechanics in 2-person crews have been a feature for a very long time, and 3-person also adopted ballside mechanics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Was that in the 80s? I do not remember that time at least when I started officiating.

Peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
What is "pre-rotation days"? Does this mean that L going ballside did not cause the crew to rotate?

Opposite side keeps officials away from the heat after calling fouls, keeps officials engaged by moving a non-involved official to the tableside, and keeps coach-official conversations from slowing down the game.

Rotation Mechanics for both NFHS and NCAA Men's/Women's was not adopted until the late mid-1990s. My right leg will not allow me to climb up into "the attic" to go through my files to research the exact year(s) that the change was made but I remember attending Phil Bova's Camp in the early 1990s and we were taught Non-Rotation Mechanics.

I officiated the 1993 AAU Women's (which plays using NCAA Women's Rules) National Championship Tournament in April 1993 and the Lithuanian National Women's Team at the Univ. of Cincinnati (NCAA Women's Rules) and the Polish National Men's Team at Cleveland State Univ. (NCAA Men's Rules), both game in November 1993, and we used Non-Rotation Mechanics.

It was, maybe two years, after the 1993-94 season that the NCAA Men's and Women's went to Rotation Mechanics (the NFHS followed one year later if my memory is correct) because I attended a women's camp and the Rotation Mechanics for the CCA Women's Manual was still not set in stone. We were taught that the T, not the L would initiate the Rotation (think of trying to push a rope, ). But I remember that before that season started the Rotation procedure that we now use was adopted.

The positions for Non-Rotation Mechanics were: C was Opposite the Table (OT) with the L and T Table Side (TS). Whoever called a Foul would become the "new" C. If the "old" C was to become the "new" C then the L and T would switch.

So end's today's history lesson.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio