Thread: Game situations
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 09, 2019, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you for the replies. I was R1, not a lot of experience working with a veteran R2.

1. The reason I mentioned that the Libero had been on the court, that it was she rotating to serve, and that they had properly completed the double replacement was that I felt that she had had sufficient time to give me some indication that there was a problem with her shoe. It was after my whistle for serve that she knelt, UN-TIED her shoe and re-tied it. I called a five-second violation.

2. I forgot/neglected to say, in the OP, that team A had received a YUD* earlier in the set. My R2, as I said, blew a double whistle for substitution that may have sounded to some like a single whistle, but for Heaven’s sake, it was team A that was making the substitution. And, because she was serving from the left side, the substitution was happening right in front of the server. There was no reason to serve and the receiving team was not expecting, nor were they ready to receive, a serve. I gave team A a RUD (2nd UD), and awarded team B a loss of rally/point.

3. There had been no request for substitution that met the requirements of the rule. As I said, no substitute had left the bench and the coach had not requested a substitution. Those are things I look for from both teams before whistling for the serve. R2 was reacting to a player on the floor coming to the sideline. In the end, we disallowed any substitution for one rally and played that point without a penalty of any kind.

*I learned later that the YUD was improper, but is cause for a separate question in a new thread.