Thread: Unplayable area
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 03, 2019, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middleman View Post
I don't get it. What happened to the ball?

R2 never made a call that he wasn't supposed to make. Either the player kept the ball in play, or not. What did you do, as R1? How did this cause an extended "discussion" with a "complaining coach?" What could his complaint have been?

Just curious, looking for a clarification.
The question was if the player had gone into an unplayable area to play the ball. Was she in the area between the bench and scorers table when she played the ball or not. If she was, then the ball should have been blown dead. If she wasn't, then it was still a live ball and play continued. As the R1 I let play continue as I did not have a great view of where exactly she was to say she was or was not in an unplayable area.

It is my opinion, that if I am not 100% of a call, I am going to let play continue and then if we need to address a situation after, then we address it after the point. This usually applies to entering an unplayable area of an antenna fault issue with a line judge who isn't signally clearly. (and occasionally a back row attack if I have lost track of the setter).

This is similar to officials letting a potential fumble play continue in football then making a decision at the end of the play (like the Lions - KC game where the officials didn't have a clue, but had gotten burned earlier in the season on a similar play).