Thread: 3rd Time Out
View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 26, 2019, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
not for YUD, I don't think. Possibly for a YC for misconduct.

Fair enough. Different areas do it differently. We would try to minimize the coach breaking momentum, getting additional time by having the R note the YUD and getting the action resumed ASAP and catching up on the scoresheet a bit later (unless the scorekeeper is on his / her toes and gets it recorded right away). I agree it's not unsporting conduct.
I found out that an area opposing school has caught on to this tactic. The scorekeeper, who is a former long time varsity coach at the school, knows when it is coming and already had most of the YUD comment written by the time the R2 had turned around. The R2 then confirmed, gave the court back to the R1, who beaconed for serve. This was while the offending team was huddling in a pseudo-timeout. That result in an out of alignment call followed by a red card to the coach for UC.

Basically he tried pulling the same scheme one to many times with that opponent and this time the scorekeeper knew the scheme and as a result was ready for it when it happened. The coach didn't expect the process to be handled that quickly and as a result was caught with the team not paying attention.