Thread: 3rd Time Out
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 16, 2019, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Doesn't the R1 have to inform the captain what the card is for?
not for YUD, I don't think. Possibly for a YC for misconduct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
This isn't proper procedure either. The R2 is supposed to communicate with the scorer to assure the UD is properly noted on the score sheet. The UD needs to be recorded immediately.

We have a coach in my area that has developed a plan to use his UD Yellow's carefully and takes advantage of rules to give his team a break or get a "quick" time out.

Normally what he will do is send a sub to the substitution zone, then withdraw the substitution, resulting in an UD issuance. Since the R2 is required to make sure it is noted on the scoresheet, it gives him a few seconds to talk to his team before it is administered.

Our state association has been notified about this and has basically told our officials association that there is nothing to prevent him from doing it. They have said that it should not be considered as unsportsmanlike conduct because it is a situation covered within another area of the rules. (The UD rules).
Fair enough. Different areas do it differently. We would try to minimize the coach breaking momentum, getting additional time by having the R note the YUD and getting the action resumed ASAP and catching up on the scoresheet a bit later (unless the scorekeeper is on his / her toes and gets it recorded right away). I agree it's not unsporting conduct.