View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 27, 2019, 02:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Kipling Said It Best ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
You keep referring to a book that many of us never use. We do not have IAABO in my area. We do not have associations that assign every game for us. We are truly independent contractors ... Not how it works in either state I work.

Bingo. Hit the nail right on the head.

We do not do things the same, we're very different.

When in Illinois, or Indiana, or any part therein, do what's expected in Illinois, or Indiana, or any part therein.

When in Connecticut, or any little corner therein, do what's expected in Connecticut, or any little corner therein.

When in Rome, do what's expected in Rome.

That's what I meant in my earlier post.

Also, whenever I refer to "by the book", I don't always mean an actual written book, it could also refer to a set of unwritten guidelines, perhaps discussed at a meeting, or taught in a class, not everything is written down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Since you mentioned this I looked it up. I do not find anywhere in the NF book that says you must blow your whistle following a timeout before a FT.
I have no knowledge of this being a NFHS mechanic, or if it ever was a NFHS mechanic. We've been using IAABO mechanics for many years here in Connecticut (some IAABO boards in other states still use NFHS mechanics).

Time Out Procedures: When a timeout is followed by a free throw, sound the whistle prior to administering the free throw.

For some reason, maybe coming from a NFHS background, this IAABO mechanic has been overlooked or ignored for many years here in Connecticut, and like JRutledge, I can count on one hand the number of times over the past forty years that I've heard an official sound a whistle before a free throw after a timeout. And those few times probably had something to do, as mentioned earlier by Raymond, with the band or music playing.

Last year we were suddenly instructed (not sure by whom, international, state, or local) to follow the mechanic as outlined in the IAABO manual. Maybe it was a question on our local written mechanics refresher exam that was discussed at a meeting as being answered incorrectly on many exams?

It's still overlooked or ignored by most veterans, including yours truly. I actually tried it once last year, it seemed "weird" ("Hey everybody, look at me"). Maybe it will catch on after a few training classes are taught to sound their whistles in such situations?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Aug 28, 2019 at 10:58am.