View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 15, 2019, 04:35pm
This IS My Social Life

The New in the NFHS 2019-20 Casebook

Arrived in the mail from NFHS today.
Just waded through the 80 or so "shadings" of rules references in the new casebook. Ugh. Only about 10 newly added or significantly revised references are included in this year's book. The other 70 or so shaded paragraphs are, frankly, irrelevant and distractive.
As the NFHS did with the rules book, they "freckled" the text of the entire casebook with 60-70 complete citations that they totally shaded only for the sake of the relatively insignificant addition of the term "free throw" prior to the occurrences of the words "lane" and "lane spaces" and the term "for field goal" in conjunction with the term "try" or "tap." All totally inconsequential and quite distracting.
Sadly, for many officials this year, the few substantive changes that are in the text will be totally lost in the overwhelming number of shaded references that consist of no substantive change whatsoever except for insignificant minor wording.
Several shaded citations aren't changed or revised at all.
In a couple of instances the previously incorrect rule reference was corrected. A couple of "low hanging fruit" corrections they could have easily made weren't touched.
Anyway, report on significant changes to note when you receive your new casebook should be appearing here tomorrow. The list I intend to compile will make your study of the new casebook easier, I'm hoping.