View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 13, 2019, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Any association that goes in to work these games should just light their stripes on fire. If the state is willing to do that to one group, why not another? Why not all of them? The most I've ever driven for a HS game is 1.5 hours. Double-header, and I get free food. 2 hours for $77? Be there 1 hour before the game?

You'd have to leave work by 4PM (likely 3:30 for traffic), to get there by 6PM. Game ends around 9:30PM-10PM. Shower? Get home around 12AM-1AM?

I'm not working 9-10 hours for $77. That's just over minimum wage. Even less if you subtract dinner and gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

Why would one sign a contract and then complain about the pay? The time to negotiate a better game fee was back in May BEFORE signing the contract.

I usually support the heck out of officials in such disputes, but in this case I can’t. These officials should honor the contract that they just signed a few months ago and then bargain for next year. Sorry, but their leaders blew it.
The schools may pay the fee, but FLHSSA sets the pay. So when they did the contract with the school, it didn't really matter what the school would agree to pay; the rate is the rate. I don't disagree with your logic, but I'm guessing they did this on purpose to force this fight.

Florida has been dragging their feet for upping the pay according to numerous articles, promising and then kicking the can. The officials got tired of it, and then pull this. Now they have to see who blinks first.