View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 07, 2019, 11:40am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
I know it was baseball but the 1B coach grabbed McGwire when he missed 1B on one of his record-setting HRs.

CSFP says it doesn't matter with a dead ball as no advantage is gained. I don't think any rule actually specify the live/dead aspect though.
Unfortunately unlike baseball, softball umpires don't all believe in using CSFP to make calls. They pretty much expect everything to be cited in a rulebook, case play, or some other authoritative interpretation. And deviating from what is written in the name of CSFP is met with calls of an umpire being rogue and wanting to put themselves above the game.

This is a USA Softball (ASA at the time) case play that came out in May 2010:

Quote:
Play: (Fast Pitch) with one out B2 hits an over the fence home run. While rounding 1B the runner stumbles and appears to have been injured. The first base coach (a) rushes on to the field to make sure B2 is ok. While checking the player for injuries the coach directs B2 back to 1B because they missed the base or (b) after B2 gets up and continues to 2B, the coach sprints onto the field, grabs B2 and tells B2 to come back to touch 1B.

Ruling: Rule 8 Section 7E addresses an offensive team member other than a runner that physically assists a runner while the ball is live. There is also an exception for when a runner scores and misses home plate.

An over the fence home run considered, by definition of a Dead Ball, as a ball that is not in play. We have other rules that apply when runners must run the bases on over the fence home runs.

A home run awards the batter 4 bases without liability to be put out except under appeal or protest. In the case of (a) once the coach came onto the field to check a possible injured play the umpire should call time to see if the player needed to be replaced. (Rule 4, Section 10) If the coach helps the player up and directs them to touch first base again there is not violation of the rules. In (b) the coach specifically went onto the field to grab the runner and assisted B2 in returning to touch 1B. In doing so the coach has taken away the ability of the defense to appeal the runner for missing 1B and therefore should be called out for a violation of Rule 8 Section 7E.
So under USA rules, they believe (and I agree) that when a base coach or other team member other than a fellow runner assists a runner during a dead ball and, as a result, takes away the defense's opportunity to appeal a missed base, this is a form of illegal physical assistance that would result in an out. According to my state interpreter, the same would be the case in NFHS play.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker