View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 02, 2019, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Sure, if you say so.

Again, a lot of people with straightforward tax situations see the value in having a CPA sign their 1040. Others just hate doing their taxes and are willing to pay someone to take it off their hands. If you're seeking tax advice from a CPA chances are preparing your return is over your head even if it's straightforward. There are a lot of clients that probably use EAs for "easy" returns, as well.

I'd use a CPA over H&R Block anyday. No offense to you, to each his own.
No offense taken. That mentality is how I make money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
In Virginia the commissioners get paid by the school(s), usually a lump sum up front based on the number of games to be assign or a negotiated fee, and also get paid by the officials with an 8-10% commissioner's fee out of our game checks.

I got into a debate with our treasurer this past season because our 1099's are reflecting the full game fees, not the game fees minus 8 to 10%. I told him the 8-10% commissioner's fee needs to reflect as income for the commissioner and whoever else gets paid from those fees. Officials at no time see that 8-10% portion of our game check, so it should not reflect as our income. We get paid by the association, so that 8-10% is only touching the association's hands.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
It's the same in Western VA and my basketball association as well. I heard that the local rival one pays it's officials the actual amount that is reflected in Arbiter. For soccer and baseball it's different; the amount you see on Arbiter is what you get paid.

The only other one that does it via 11% fee out of your check is the football group. I asked them about that, and next thing you know, I got kicked out.