View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 02, 2019, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Thanks for the free advice (I assume that I won't get a bill) but it seems like a lot of work for only a little payoff. By the time I declare my business expenses for dues, fees, fines, insurance, uniforms, shoes, equipment, laundry, and travel mileage, officiating seems more like a hobby rather than a business.

Now that I'm retired from my day job (fans have been telling me not to do that for years), I'm legally declaring my round trip mileage for all my assignments. I couldn't do this when I was traveling to assignments from my day job that I commuted to every day, right?

Of course, I did know a "guy" at work who told our boss that in case the IRS called, he should tell them that I, I mean he, would drive home before all of my, I mean his, assignments to "get my, I mean his, bag" even if the assignment was in the same town where I, I mean he, worked. Wink. Wink. Nod. Nod.
You can't write-off miles that you do from home to the work site. That's commuting. BUT, you can write them off if you handle a majority of administrative duties at home. Or have a home office.

You're right though. I want to say the math to do the S-Corp thing only makes sense once you hit $75k. That number was pre-TCJA, so who knows now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I highly doubt CPA firms are using TurboTax.

I love my CPA. For tax guidance and preparing my returns. Well worth the fee to me.
https://proconnect.intuit.com/

Same company that makes TurboTax. It's what we use. It's pretty much TurboTax without the cute graphics. So long as your tax situation is simple (W-2 income only, no estates, business that makes under $250k and/or no inventory) you don't really need a tax professional.

Not to say you should stop seeing your guy. If he's good, hell he's good. But behind the green curtain it's just some old guy pressing buttons.