View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 19, 2019, 08:52pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Who the hell cares what the player, coaches, fans, and talking heads say and think?

We are the game officials! We use correct terminology as defined in the Rules Book, the Casebook, the Officials Manual, the Illustrated Rules Book, and the Basketball Handbook. And the definition of Strong Side in the Officials Manual is very efficient: Short and to the point! If an official uses any other description to describe the Strong Side which does not conform to the NFHS Officials Manual or the CCA Men's and Women's Manual, that official is incorrect!

This should end this discussion.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. And as a Moderator I really hope that I do not have to close this thread, something I have never done before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
No, they should change it to match everyone's understanding.

No, because officials do not use it. You are changing the scenario from a shared term by more than one group to a term used by one group.

Officials do not use correct terminology all the time, not even close. Can't believe that you would suggest it.

And when a room full of officials uses the term strong side to describe the ball side, they are not incorrect because the communication works. All are in agreed understanding. As I indicated, I know of no official, nor anyone for that matter, that describes strong side the manual way.

At your next large meeting, put up a slide asking the room to define strong side. Please, no leading the witnesses. See how many have the word "ball" in their definition. Then, feel free to correct them all, lol. I plan on it at our next meeting.

Good to know though, that the manual/books suggest otherwise. It might come in handy as some obscure text question some day, or maybe on Jeopardy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
Educated officials that get in the rule book understand that the strong side is the side with two officials. I have sat through college camps throughout the summer with the clinicians referring to the strong side in this way, no one was confused or questioned this.

I would guarantee that there are officials that use the term "over the back" just because they and maybe some of their colleges may understand what it means, does not make it correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
OK, guys. With acrimony asserting it's acrimonious head, I'll end this thread. Which is only fitting, because I'm the one who started it. I've learned what I need to learn, and thank all for the responses which, after all, were the opinions I was searching for.

Yes, I understand the phraseology of the NFHS Officials' Manual. (As an "educated official", I couldn't find it in the rule book . . .
I know what's in the manual. I was just trying to identify where the heck I came up with the definition I have used -- with no confusion on anyone's part and with not a single person challenging my use of the term, for a long time until now. I still don't know where I learned it, only that Nevada may have learned it somewhere, too. Not sure if that puts me in good company or not.

Anyhow, instead of me, answering the question, "How do I know when I should rotate?", as I used to:

A: "When C's side becomes strong side, you better have rotated."

Now, I'll learn to say this:

A: "When the on-ball competitive matchup and the predominant number of players are on C's side..."
. . . or . . .
A: "When it's clear that you have nothing happening in your PCA and C is overloaded over there..."

More cumbersome, but I think I can do it.

Thanx for the discussion.

Close it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
My entire career has been based on repeated teachings for L to:

mirror the ball unless play dictates otherwise.

Play that might dictate otherwise includes ping-ponging in a zone, recognizing a set play, or lower skill basketball.

As L, very rarely will I not be ball side. If anything, I am guilty of occasionally rotating too frequently. I am yet to see that result in any problems though.

1) Camron Rust and I have posted the correct, and I am emphasizing the word "correct", definition of "Strong Side" per the NFHS and CCA Men's and Women's Officiating Manuals. And let me repeat the definition of "Strong Side" one more time: The Strong Side of the Court is the side of Court on which the L is located. No other conditions matter. What side the Strong Side is not determined where Ball is, where the T is, where a majority Players are, or anything else except where the L is located.

2) We, the Game Officials, are the expert of the Rules and Mechanics. Our job description requires to know the Rules and to know correct Mechanics. Using correct terminology is what we are supposed to do. To do anything less would be to the detriment of our profession.

3) I was an active boys'/girls' H.S. official for 46 years, women's college official for 34 years, and a men's jr. college official for 15 years. I was a Rules Interpreter, I taught the OhioHSAA Certified Basketball Officiating Class, I sat on three IAABO National Committees, two recent past Chairmen of the NFHS Rules Committe are personal friends, I have attend basketball officiating camps, and been a evaluatator at IAABO camps. Guess what?! I have never (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirely) heard Strong Side defined as anything other that the side of the Court where the L is. And in any discussion in which I have ever been involved, any time an official used a incorrect definition either I corrected them or someone above my pay grade corrected them.

If one wants to be taken seriously in any profession then that person must use correct terminology.

Just one more time before I sign off for the evening: The Strong Side of the Court is the side of the Court that the L is located. At this point I would hope that BillyMac would insert a GIF of a rapper dropping his mic, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio