View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 15, 2019, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
You're arguing that they should change a definition to match your misunderstanding.
No, they should change it to match everyone's understanding.

Quote:
Are you going to argue that they should put over-the-back in the book next because many players and coaches use that term?
No, because officials do not use it. You are changing the scenario from a shared term by more than one group to a term used by one group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post

We are the game officials! We use correct terminology as defined in the Rules Book, the Casebook, the Officials Manual, the Illustrated Rules Book, and the Basketball Handbook. And the definition of Strong Side in the Officials Manual is very efficient: Short and to the point! If an official uses any other description to describe the Strong Side which does not conform to the NFHS Officials Manual or the CCA Men's and Women's Manual, that official is incorrect!
Officials do not use correct terminology all the time, not even close. Can't believe that you would suggest it.

And when a room full of officials uses the term strong side to describe the ball side, they are not incorrect because the communication works. All are in agreed understanding. As I indicated, I know of no official, nor anyone for that matter, that describes strong side the manual way.

At your next large meeting, put up a slide asking the room to define strong side. Please, no leading the witnesses. See how many have the word "ball" in their definition. Then, feel free to correct them all, lol. I plan on it at our next meeting.

Good to know though, that the manual/books suggest otherwise. It might come in handy as some obscure text question some day, or maybe on Jeopardy!