View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 15, 2019, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
I do not dispute your objective evidence and points. I am simply saying that it (the manual definition) is very inefficient, inconsistent, and not what the writers meant.

Doing an internet search for "basketball strong side" will reveal hundreds of thousands of results and I could not find one (not that I looked at them all) that mentioned it was the side of the L official. They (most of the initial relevant results were involving definitions) all included it to mean the side of the ball. If anything the writers should correct it but no one cares enough to put up a fuss over consistency/efficiency any more.
The writers meant exactly what is there. It has always been that way. The fact that you found thousands of references to another meaning in a different context is irrelevant. Again, we're talking officiating terminology, not player/coach terminology. They're meant to describe two different things for two groups of people.

I also fail to see how it is in any way inefficient or inconsistent.

You're arguing that they should change a definition to match your misunderstanding. Are you going to argue that they should put over-the-back in the book next because many players and coaches use that term?