View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 13, 2019, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
It continues to be obvious that IFR is a mess in both USA and NFHS books; but in spite of the above comment, the player is out when it is hit.
More later ...
Sorta, but . . .

You must remember what makes a batter out under the infield fly rule:
1. There must be less than 2 outs
2. must have runners on first and second, or bases loaded
3. The ball must be a fly ball (not a bunt or line drive), that can be caught with ordinary effort.
4. It must be a FAIR BALL.

Let's focus on point #4: what is a fair ball? In short, USA, NFHS and NCAA define a fair ball as a ball being touched over fair territory or settles on fair territory (I'm paraphrasing, as there are bounding ball, etc.).

Now let's go back to the play: bases loaded, less than two outs, BR hits a fly ball. As umpires, we state: "Infield Fly, batter is out . . . IF FAIR". Of course, we add the last two words if the ball is close to the line. That statement is a notice to the defense that we will apply the infield fly rule (and get this) when . . .the ball becomes FAIR. When the ball is in the air, the ball does not have fair/foul status, and thus, the BR is not out. When the ball is caught, it has fair status (actually, with the exception of a goofy U-trip slow pitch rule, a ball caught over fair or foul territory is still live). When the ball is touch over fair territory (not caught), it is fair. When the ball settles over fair territory, it is fair. If touched or settles over foul territory, it is foul.

If the BR interferes with F3 (or F2 or F1, or F9 ) playing the batted ball, the ball is dead, no need for fair/foul status because . . .

The BR interfering with a fielder making a play is covered under another rule (USA 8 2 F 1 for example). With or without the infield fly rule conditions, this is the rule to apply. Boom, the BR is out, runners return to their bases. Case closed (dun dun), Dick Wolf executive producer.

In the video, with way it played out, there are two options:

1. you call the BR for interference: dead ball, all runners return to the last base touched. ONLY the BR out.
or
2. you do not call the BR for interference, but since the ball is fair, the BR is out for the infield fly rule, the ball is live and the run scores.

NOTE: I'm not arguing either way for interference. Personally, I don't think it was interference, ergo, my option is #2.

The play in the video, as the way it played out, has ZERO ways of getting two outs. It would require the BR to be out and interfere as a retired runner at the same time (would be that "Schrödinger Bat-ter"?). The previously mentioned KR ruling where the BR did something out of the customary play, like deliberately interfering to take advantage of another rule, could provide you with two outs, but that really is third world.

There are ways of getting two outs: the BR, after the ball settles over fair territory, runs into F3 while she is picking it up; or BR kicks the ball that has settled over fair territory; or, the BR didn't run thinking the ball would be caught, F3 fails to catch the ball, the BR starts to run to first and gets hit with F3's throw home to retire an advancing R1. Since the ball is fair, the BR has become retired under the infield fly rule effect, became a retired runner, and has now interfered in the scenarios I just mentioned. But that's not what happened in the video.

Last edited by Big Slick; Thu Jun 13, 2019 at 02:51pm.