View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 12, 2019, 11:11am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
Not that rare for me unfortunately... I have to enforce 8.7.T (i believe that's what it is in USA) at least twice a season... usually a perfectly laid-down bunt that they just toss to the pitcher without making a play on BR... BR blasts through 1B, trots back and decides to break for 2B...
So in this scenario, does it matter what happens first? In other words:

A. BR overruns first base. Ball goes to the pitcher in the circle before the BR makes her turn and heads back to first base.

B. BR overruns first base. Ball goes to the pitcher in the circle after the BR makes her turn and heads back to first base.

I'm sure that for "A", the BR would be out if she's heading towards first and then makes a break for second. But if the BR is already heading towards first and then the ball goes into the circle, doesn't the BR still have her one stop to make and then continue to first or head to second?

I must admit, I made this call during a HS playoff game last month. BR overran first as she easily beat out a bunt, turned right to come back, and then I saw the first base coach look over at the third base coach for a signal. The ball was in the circle, so I continued to watch what was going to happen. First base coach said something to the BR, and the BR continued to the bag, stopped short of it, then took off for second. I called Dead Ball and rang her up.

Third base coach came over to me and asked why I made that call, and I told her once the ball is in the circle and the BR is heading back toward first base, she's committed there and cannot take off for second. She replied that as long as the BR doesn't go all the way back to and touch first base, she can take off for second. I told her that was the college rule, but not the high school rule. She said her team had been executing that play all regular season, and I was the first to make the call. I told her to read the LBR in the book about the BR's responsibilities when she overruns first base. She said she would and get back to me. She never did.

But as I thought about it later on, I wondered if I should've noted the timing between when the ball entered the circle and when the BR made her turn at first to come back. I didn't notice it during the game, and I think it makes a difference.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker